Normally I delete these comments. But I thought I’d share this one so people can understand the bullshit that Queer people deal with on the daily. Some one tried to post this comment on one of my blog posts that actually had nothing to do with being Queer. It was commented on my blog post titled “The Scent of Grief” which I then read, as I hadn’t read it in awhile, and ended up crying because it’s about the loss of my Dad.
Guess what the loss of my Dad has to do with being Queer? Nothing. My dad loved me for me, he loved my ex-wife, and he danced as long and as hard as the rest of us at our wedding. But these lovely humans who will never even post under their true blog name for me to go onto their page to respond to…Germiner….felt the need to post a bible verse. Here’s my response Germiner and every other homophobic person who hides behind bible verses because that makes it what? less homophobic? In my opinion it’s worse. Here’s why-
- I love how straight Christians think Queers have never read the bible. You asshat I wrote a paper at my religious undergraduate college entitled “Homosexuality and the Bible” and that was one of many religiously themed papers that I wrote in college because I took a religious based course every semester in my undergraduate. I also was raised Missouri Synod Lutheran. Church weekly and during some parts of the year twice weekly. I was baptized, confirmed, and attended confirmation class weekly for two years in addition to once or twice weekly church. I am fully aware of 1 Corinthians. It was written by the Apostle Paul- you know what else he preaches against in that very verse? Lawsuits. You know what happened to a Rugby Player Israel Folau, who quoted Corinthians on social media? He lost his contract for being homophobic….then he sued the rugby organization that fired him. So pardon my skepticism for anything relating to the bible. Christians notoriously and continuously pick out what works for them and when it works for them. How can he in one breath be homophobic “spreading the word of God” and in the next sue the organization that fired him for being homophobic when literally in the SAME verse the SAME voice says Don’t sue people.
- It’s not a “preacher” speaking in 1 Corinthians. It’s freaking Paul the Apostle. He’s writing to a community of Christians that he founded/converted in Corinth. Get your damn facts right and don’t assume that I do not know the facts. Because guess what- I confirmed my information after I wrote my first draft of this blog post. But I didn’t have to look it up to write this to start with. Because yes….I have studied religion and Christianity and the bible that much.
- There is an assumption that you think I think God doesn’t love me. I do not believe in the orthodox Christian version of God. The version I believe in has fate, a higher power, and love.
- Do you think you’re the first homophobic person to read a Queer person Corinthians? You’re not. You’re not even the fifth. I think I’m in double digits now. The first was a boy in my homeroom in tenth grade. Shoved the bible under my nose and said it says homosexuality is wrong. I smiled and said, “It doesn’t specifically say two women having sex is wrong. It seems to focus more on men.” Later my ex-mother-in-law also tried to read me the bible. I’ll tell you what- to assume a Queer person has not read the bible and does not have more education on it than you is insulting to my intelligence and ignorant AF.
- I’m 37 now and I attended a religious undergraduate college. I also attended church as I mentioned. This is not a novel idea. How about you quote the whole thing though. 1 Corinthians 16 vs 13 “Keep alert, stand firm in your faith, be courageous, be strong. Let all that you do be done IN LOVE”. Tell me what about being homophobic is done in love? ‘Splain it to me Lucy! Because you see I can find all the quotes about love “written by a preacher” (eyeroll) and throw them right back at you.
So to all the homophobic Christians who come creeping on this page. Bring it. I’ll be happy to do a point by point response.
Sincerely, A Smart, Irritated, Queer woman who is loved by her God and has read the bible.