Very versatile- add whatever veggies you have in the refrigerator.
To be WHOLE 30 compliant- no sugar added to crushed tomatoes (read the can) and bone stock instead of boxed chicken broth.
- I used 6-7 chicken thighs, you can use anywhere from 4-8 depending how much soup you want
- some coconut oil or EVOO
- 1 15 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup to 1 cup water
- 1 sweet potato peeled and diced
- 1 bell pepper diced
- 1 small/medium onion peeled and diced
- 1 small bunch kale or greens of choice (spinach)
- 1 container broth/stock of choice (I used low sodium chicken broth)
- 1 tbsp finely chopped green chiles (less or more depending on the flavor you want)
- 1/2 or 1 tsp dried garlic or 3 fresh cloves minced
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- dash red hot pepper
I love soups. You can do this in a slow cooker- low setting for 6 hours.
I just used my big soup pot. Cooked the chicken thighs first mostly through they were a little raw still inside- in a dutch oven in 325 for an hour (mine were frozen though so raw would take less time).
Heat up the coconut oil, add the onion, sweet potato, pepper, and garlic- sautée for a few minutes.
Add all the cut up chicken- cook if still raw.
Add the crushed tomato, all the spices, and the broth. Pop the cover on and walk away. Bring it to a boil, then simmer for about 20-30 minutes. Cut up all the kale and add it on top. Stir it in. Depends how crispy you want the kale. I turn my heat to low to let it sit for 10 minutes then I turn it off. But I like it mushy. If you want it crispy turn the heat off sooner.
This soup is amazing. You can add cilantro and a slice of avocado on top if desired. You can add black beans or chickpeas instead of the chicken for a vegan option with veggie stock instead of bone broth or chicken broth. It’s reminiscent of chicken tortilla soup minus the tortillas.